Thursday 4 October 2012

Gangnam Style Bow Tie

So let's examine the choices of bow ties out there to go with the Gangnam Style Costume.

PSY wears two types of bow ties in his Gangnam Style music video.  

Black Bow Tie

White Bow Tie
Whether the bow tie is black or white, it is obviously a classic bow tie.  One that requires a bow tie knot to wear.

How can I tell?  Well he's obviously wearing it down around his neck in sequences during the video.
Loose black bow tie while screaming at butts!


There's a variety of styles out there for the Gangnam Style costume, but at this point, I'm going to have to go with the class bow tie.

Why wouldn't I choose from other varieties?

Snap on metal clasp bow tie: It falls off and I'm not noticing, my costume is ruined until I find another one

Velcro bow tie: If I undo it and let it hang around my neck, it'll be unbalanced. Again it'll fall off.  Remember: Gravity.

Elastic bow tie: Ever had a bow tie pulled on you really far and then let go of?  Don't remember that as a child?  Then lucky you!  It hurts.  Especially if it's one of those heavy crumpled pieces of fabric, shot at your throat like a sling shot.  Oh, it'll hit it's mark and it... Will... Hurt!

Tuxedo T-Shirt bow tie:  Up to you really.  I prefer a little bit more authenticity.

Overall:  If I want to transition from PSY in the Blue Tuxedo jacket to Screaming-Yet-Relaxed-Look PSY, I'm going to have to go with the classic bow tie and knot.  Then I'll be able to let it hand and get that bit of authenticity I'm looking for.

So that means that I have to...

1) Get my hands on a classic cut bow tie

2) Learn how to tie a bow tie knot

3) Profit!

Learning how to tie a bow tie at first was frustrating.  I expected instant results to go with my outfit to make it complete.  Here's the image I learned it from.




This image drove me nuts.  It was rather annoying because my neck it huuuuuge.  *Incidentally, my cranium is massive.*  The tie I got from the suit store wasn't the right size for me!  Whaaaaaaaaat? I figured that out on the third try as I realized I was going to choke myself if I didn't cease.

So my friend at Loki's Wardobe (Found on Etsy) made me the correct sized tie.  Really?  A size 20? Yikes! I better stop going to Korean BBQ so often.

So I finally got the bow tie knot done proper.  Awesome!  Here's a video below to help you tie a classic bow tie knot.  Learn from my mistakes!


Remember to fit the middle of your bow tie so it's not all messed up when you're done.  It gives it that clean look.

So to everyone, find what's best for you and what you're comfortable with.  As long as you enjoy yourself this Halloween and have fun the Gangnam Style way!






Also, Bow Ties are COOL!


No comments:

Post a Comment